Good Shepherd had its start in 1961 when a group of concerned Christians recognized the need for a Lutheran Church in Gulf Breeze. Following several meetings by the group it sent a request to establish a Lutheran congregation in Gulf Breeze and initial planning began. After a study of the area, the congregation purchased five acres of land on Shoreline Drive in 1963 and construction began.
In June of 1963, a call was extended to Reverend Leroy Beutel, who oversaw final construction of the sanctuary. Good Shepherd held its first service in the new building on September 22, 1963. Fifty-one members attended. Sunday school classes began on September 29 of the same year. The congregation became a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, Southern District, in 1970.
After experiencing growth, and seeking space in which to grow further, the voters assembly approved the purchase of 14 acres east of Gulf Breeze, and ground was broken for the new sanctuary in August 1992. With the help of Laborers for Christ construction was completed and the congregation dedicated the new facility on September 24, 1995.
The first education facility for the congregation opened on August 16, 1998 with the start of the Little Lambs Academy. The Academy served the needs of young children for five years until August 2003. Good Shepherd Lutheran School presently brings Christ-centered education to students in Preschool, VPK, Kindergarten and 1st & 2nd Grade.
Good Shepherd celebrated is 50th anniversary September of 2013, and continues to thrive, loving and serving the Lord.
We have been blessed to have had the following Pastors and Vicar serve us at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church and School.
- Rev. Richard Fenske (ALC) 1961 – 1963
- Rev. Leroy Beutel (ALC) 1963 – 1966
- Rev. Henry Youngg (ALC) 1966
- Rev. Luther Loesch (LCMS) (Interim) 1967 – 1969
- Rev. Robert Cordero (LCMS) 1970 – 1979
- Rev. Timothy Hartner (LCMS) (Interim) 1979
- Rev. Martin Doermann (ALC) (part time) 1980 – 1986
- Rev. J. Eugene Kunos (ALC) 1986 – 1988
- Rev. Dr. Richard Lohmeyer (LCMS) 1988 – 2003
- Rev. Dr. Robert Richter (LCMS) (Interim) 2003
- Rev. Rory Hermann (LCMS) 2003 – 2015
- Vicar Jim d’Entremont (LCMS) 2015-2016
- Rev. Jim d’Entremont (LCMS) 2016 – Present